Grilled Halloumi Cheese is grilled cheese, taken to the literal max. As in, we’re grilling cheese, char marks and all!
Transfer over Mozzarella Sticks as a result of there’s a brand new gooey cheese appetizer in my existence and her identify is grilled halloumi cheese.
What’s halloumi cheese? Let me introduce you.
- Halloumi is a company cheese that originated in Cyprus. It’s made with some mixture of goat’s, sheep’s, and cow’s milk and is fashionable all the way through the Mediterranean.
- A singular trait of halloumi cheese is its prime melting level which permits it to be cooked at once at the sizzling grill plates with out melting into overall oblivion.
Cooking it feels a little bit like magic and consuming is beautiful magical too.
What Does Halloumi Cheese Style Like?
Halloumi cheese has a light and buttery taste. This can be a little bit like a move between feta, mozzarella, and paneer (hi, Paneer Tikka Masala).
When heat, halloumi cheese tastes creamy, salty, and completely scrumptious!
5 Famous person Assessment
“It’s wonderful! I like its taste with olive oil.”
— Rebecca —
Easy methods to Grill Halloumi Cheese
Grilled halloumi makes an sudden, spectacular appetizer (particularly served with Greek Layer Dip) that can pride your folks.
It may be a vegetarian major, or use the grilled halloumi cheese to make a real grilled cheese sandwich.
Alternatively you experience grilled halloumi cheese, you’ll be able to’t pass incorrect!
- Halloumi Cheese. This gentle, company cheese shines at the grill. It’s additionally rather the birthday celebration trick!
- Herbs. Whilst you’ll be able to experience halloumi cheese all by itself, I like to present a nod to its Mediterranean roots via including oregano and thyme.
- Lemon Juice. A squeeze wakes up the flavour and well balances the richness of the halloumi.
- Olive Oil. Whilst you’ll be able to fry halloumi cheese in a nonstick skillet with out including any oil (the fats content material of the cheese is enough), when grilling, oil is a very powerful insurance plans.
- Preheat the grill. Then combine the marinade.
To stay your halloumi from sticking to the grill, be sure your grates are VERY blank and oil the halloumi smartly ahead of grilling.
- Slice the Halloumi cheese.
- Brush all sides with the marinade.
- Grill halloumi for two to six mins, turning a couple of times, till grill marks seem.
- Sprinkle with the remainder olive oil, lemon, and thyme. Serve heat with pita bread, combined right into a salad, or on the other hand want. ENJOY!
No grill? No drawback! You’ll be able to make grilled halloumi indoors on a forged iron grill pan (like this one) in your stovetop.
Techniques to Serve Grilled Halloumi
- Appetizer. Pile it on a plate along pita, Do-it-yourself Naan, or toasted baguette slices. As an appetizer is my favourite technique to serve halloumi, and my pals pass loopy for it!
- Grilled Halloumi Salad. Lower the grilled halloumi into bite-sized items and pile them in your favourite salad. This Mediterranean Chickpea Salad, Israeli Couscous Salad, and this Arugula Salad would all be tasty.
- Grilled Halloumi Sandwich. Tuck your grilled halloumi right into a pita or between slices of toasted bread with thinly sliced, roasted, or grilled greens and a smear of Edamame Hummus for a filling vegetarian major.
- Grilled Halloumi Wrap. Use pita or a complete wheat tortilla to create a delectable grilled halloumi wrap.
- To Retailer. Refrigerate leftover grilled halloumi for as much as 2 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm it in a nonstick skillet over medium warmth.
- To Freeze. Halloumi cheese may also be frozen. Freeze slices of raw halloumi cheese in a vacuum-sealed bag or hermetic container for as much as 6 months. Then you’ll be able to thaw in small batches and grill on-demand.
Meal Prep Tip
Slice the halloumi as much as 5 days upfront. Rewrap and refrigerate till able to grill.
Beneficial Equipment to Make this Recipe
- Measuring Spoons. Magnetic measuring spoons stay arranged for your drawers.
- Tongs. Those stainless-steel tongs have lasted years. Plus, they lock for simple garage.
The Best possible Grill Brush
Those marinade basting brushes are ideal for the grill. They’re stainless-steel, with dishwasher-safe and heat-resistant silicone bristles that unfold sauce on thick!
Now, THIS is my concept of grilled CHEESE!
Often Requested Questions
Whilst you’ll be able to devour halloumi uncooked, it’s easiest loved cooked. Cooking halloumi improves each its style and texture. It turns into creamier and one of the crucial saltiness from the brining procedure mellows to a nice quantity of saltiness. Grilling and pan-frying halloumi cheese are amongst the preferred, simple tactics to arrange it.
Unfold the slices in one layer in a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 400 levels F for quarter-hour or till warmed thru, flipping it midway thru.
Halloumi cheese is bought in The united states, you simply have to grasp the place to appear. I will be able to nearly all the time to find it at my native Dealer Joe’s, Aldi, and the strong point cheese segment at my native grocery retailer. Halloumi could also be on occasion to be had at Walmart relying in your area. In case you’re suffering, the most productive factor to do is kind into Google the place to shop for halloumi cheese? Then the quest might be adapted in your location. If all else fails, there’s all the time Amazon.
Halloumi cheese “squeaks” in its uncooked shape when bitten because of the lengthy protein strands that shape its construction. The sound you pay attention is the proteins rubbing in opposition to the teeth of your enamel. Cheese curds and paneer are two different well known sorts of cheese which can be liked for his or her squeakiness.
Sure, halloumi does comprise lactose. Alternatively, whether it is made solely with sheep or goat milk, then it’ll normally comprise much less lactose than the ones made with cow’s milk.
- 8 oz. chew halloumi cheese reduce into 1/3 to at least one/2-inch slices
- 2 1/2 tablespoons additional virgin olive oil divided, plus further for the grill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lemon halved
- 1 1/2 teaspoons contemporary thyme minced
- Pita bread not obligatory, for serving
- TO STORE: Halloumi is easiest loved instantly after cooking however may also be refrigerated for as much as 2 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm it in a nonstick skillet over medium warmth.
- TO FREEZE: Can halloumi cheese be frozen? It positive can! Freeze slices of raw halloumi cheese in a vacuum-sealed bag or hermetic container for as much as 6 months. Then you’ll be able to thaw in small batches and grill on-demand.
Serving: 1of 12Energy: 34kcalCarbohydrates: 1gProtein: 1gFats: 3gSaturated Fats: 1gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated Fats: 2gPotassium: 15mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gDiet A: 15IUDiet C: 5mgCalcium: 21mgIron: 1mg
Sign up for as of late and get started saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.