This put up would possibly include associate hyperlinks, which lend a hand stay this content material loose. (Complete disclosure)
Those low carb paleo tortillas with coconut flour happened after I neglected the benefit of getting a wrap for lunch, as an alternative of my same old low carb salad or leftovers. I most effective had a couple of pantry fundamentals readily available, and those 3-ingredient coconut flour tortillas are what got here out of it!
I’ve since made those keto tortillas that I love even higher (they have got a extra conventional dough rolled out with a rolling pin, and are available out extra dense and durable), however those coconut flour wraps are nonetheless an excellent nut-free possibility.
The primary issues with coconut flour are that it absorbs numerous moisture and is usually a little fragile, nevertheless it’s additionally cushy and light-weight, which is a plus. After some experimentation, I got here up with those coconut wraps!
I like simple coconut flour recipes, so determined to make use of that as a place to begin and upload as few elements as conceivable. After all, I used my Healthy Yum Coconut Flour, which has a slightly impartial taste and is milled tremendous advantageous. Other manufacturers soak up moisture otherwise, so effects can range by means of logo — that’s why that is the one flour I’ll use for those wraps!
Why You’ll Love This Coconut Flour Tortilla Recipe
- Cushy and versatile — you’ll be able to fold them or roll them up
- Simply 3 easy elements (which might be commonplace keto pantry staples)
- Simplest 55 energy and 1g internet carb every!
- Naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, paleo, and whole30
- Simple to make whenever you nail the correct batter consistency and range temp (see guidelines beneath!)
- No tortilla press important
Components For Do-it-yourself Coconut Wraps
This segment explains how to select the most efficient elements for paleo flour tortillas, what every one does within the recipe, and substitution choices. For measurements, see the recipe card beneath.
- Healthy Yum Coconut Flour – That is the most efficient coconut flour available in the market and it’s made with only one aspect: natural, top class natural coconuts.
SWAP: Questioning if you’ll be able to make paleo tortillas with almond flour?
Almond flour received’t paintings on this recipe, however you’ll be able to make those keto almond flour tortillas as an alternative.
- Eggs – An important for containing the tortillas in combination. Sorry, I don’t counsel substitutes right here.
- Milk Of Selection – You’ll be able to use any keto milk of selection, or make the unsweetened model of my home made almond milk. Use coconut milk beverage (no longer canned) for a nut-free possibility. Common dairy milk will paintings from a recipe viewpoint, however is simply too excessive in carbs for keto.
- Sea salt
- Gelatin Powder – Be sure you use unflavored gelatin. That is an non-compulsory aspect, however is helping make pliable and durable tortillas.
- Non-compulsory Spices – Cumin and paprika paintings smartly.
How To Make Paleo Tortillas With Coconut Flour
This segment displays tips on how to make coconut flour tortillas, with step by step footage and information about the method. For complete directions, see the recipe card beneath.
- Combine batter. In a big blending bowl, whisk coconut flour, eggs, almond milk, sea salt, cumin, and paprika in combination till easy.
- Upload gelatin (if the use of). Whisk in, adopted by means of further almond milk.
TIP: Sprinkle gelatin, don’t unload.
Sprinkling will lend a hand it incorporate into the batter extra lightly.
- Prepare dinner coconut flour wraps. Pour the batter into the skillet and in an instant impulsively tilt in several instructions to lightly distribute, like making crepes. Prepare dinner, coated, till edges are golden and bubbles shape within the center. Turn over and prepare dinner different aspect for every other short time.
Troubleshooting Guidelines & Methods
In accordance with comments from readers, I believed it will be helpful to incorporate some methods for making those coconut flour tortillas. Even if they just have 3 easy elements, getting the ratios to paintings in combination as it should be does require changes from time to time. With out gluten to bind them in combination, low carb tortillas from time to time require a little bit observe, nevertheless it’s smartly price it.
Getting The Proper Batter Consistency
An important factor to look forward to is the correct consistency of the coconut flour batter previous to frying. It will have to be liquid and simple to pour, however no longer as skinny as water. A couple of tricks to get this proper:
- Let the batter take a seat for a few mins after blending, to account for the thickening procedure this is herbal for coconut flour. Simplest then are you able to pass judgement on the consistency.
- Take note, other manufacturers of coconut flour range. This will likely have an effect on the precise quantities wanted when including liquid elements. (I like to recommend this coconut flour!)
- If the batter is simply too thick, upload further eggs and almond milk in equivalent proportions to skinny out the batter. Equivalent proportions are vital right here. The tortillas will style too egg-y should you upload most effective eggs, however they received’t cling in combination should you upload most effective milk. If it’s too thick general, you’ll finally end up with pancakes and even one thing akin to scrambled eggs. So long as you skinny it out correctly, you’ll be simply advantageous.
The Right kind Procedure For Frying Coconut Tortillas
The second one a part of the recipe is the frying procedure, and I’ve some tips right here as smartly:
- Range temperatures range, so you might wish to alter yours accordingly. I’ve a gasoline range that will get moderately sizzling, so medium warmth works smartly. On the other hand, when you’ve got an electrical range, or should you don’t see the tortillas darkening at the aspect touching the pan after 60-90 seconds, you might wish to build up the temperature to medium-high.
- The paleo wraps will have to increase darker spots as proven within the footage. If you’re seeing just a mild golden colour, like a pancake, you want to extend the temperature and check out once more with the following one. To be truthful, my first one in a batch most often doesn’t cling up as smartly, however the remaining end up nice.
- Re-oil the pan with every new tortilla. This prevents sticking and is helping them brown.
- A non-stick pan works very best. I love to make use of a hard-anodized pan or ceramic lined pan to keep away from Teflon, however any non-stick pan will paintings.
Why Are My Tortillas Extra Like Pancakes?
This occurs if the batter is simply too thick. Take a look at the consistency segment above for tips about thinning it out.
Why Do My Coconut Tortillas Fall Aside?
The most typical offender is a pan that’s no longer sizzling sufficient or batter that’s too thick. See the guidelines above on dealing with each.
That being stated, 3-ingredient coconut flour tortillas aren’t as strong as flour tortillas. If you need them extra strong, you’ll be able to upload any such (no longer each), in those quantities:
- Gelatin powder – 1 tablespoon
- Xanthan gum – 1/4 teaspoon
- Retailer: Stay those paleo tortillas within the refrigerator for as much as per week. For very best effects, line paper towels between them, to soak up any extra moisture and save you sticking.
- Reheat: Identical to common tortillas, you’ll be able to reheat those within the oven or the microwave.
- Freeze: Line parchment paper between the coconut wraps and freeze. Then, they may be able to be thawed within the refrigerator or at the counter sooner than the use of. Pat dry with paper towels should you realize any moisture on them.
What To Serve With Coconut Flour Tortillas
Want some concepts for the use of those paleo tortillas? Check out those:
Extra Simple Coconut Flour Recipes
For those who like this coconut flour tortilla recipe, you may also like a few of these different coconut flour recipes:
Reader Favourite Recipes
The recipe card is beneath! Readers that made this additionally seen those recipes:
Paleo Coconut Flour Tortillas (3 Components!)
Coconut flour tortillas want simply 3 elements and feature 1 internet carb every! Low carb paleo tortillas are ideal for wraps, tacos, and extra.
Prep: 5 mins
Prepare dinner: 10 mins
General: 15 mins
Servings: 12 (alter to scale recipe)
Faucet at the symbol beneath to observe the video.
Like this video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for wholesome recipes weekly! (Click on the bell icon to be notified after I put up a brand new video.)
Faucet underlined elements to look the place to get them. Please flip Safari reader mode OFF to view elements.
Elementary Coconut Flour Tortilla Components:
Non-compulsory Upload-Ins (Beneficial):
Faucet at the occasions within the directions beneath to begin a kitchen timer when you prepare dinner.
In a big bowl, whisk all elements in combination till easy. Let the batter take a seat for a minute or two to account for the herbal thickening brought about by means of coconut flour. The batter will have to be very runny proper sooner than cooking — it will have to pour simply (upload extra almond milk and eggs in *equivalent* proportions if wanted to reach this).
If you’re the use of the non-compulsory gelatin, upload it remaining. Sprinkle it excessive of the batter (as an alternative of dumping) and whisk as you do to keep away from clumping. Then, upload an additional 1/4 cup almond milk.
Warmth a small skillet (about 8 in (20 cm) diameter) over medium to medium-high warmth and grease evenly (use oil of selection or an oil mister). Pour 1/4 cup (60 mL) of batter onto the skillet and in an instant, impulsively tilt in several instructions to lightly distribute, like making crepes. Prepare dinner, coated with a lid, till the sides are golden and you notice bubbles forming within the center. The perimeters will curl inward whilst you elevate the lid (about 1-2 mins). Turn over, quilt once more, and prepare dinner till browned at the different aspect (1-2 extra mins). Repeat till the batter is used up.
Serving dimension: 1 8-inch tortilla
- Vitamin information does no longer come with non-compulsory elements, and assumes coconut milk beverage for the milk of selection, however almond milk could be very an identical. Dairy milk will make carb rely upper.
- Precise quantities of eggs and milk wanted can range reasonably according to your logo of coconut flour, how tightly it sits within the measuring cup, and so on. The put up above explains tips on how to get the correct consistency, and tips on how to skinny out the batter if it’s too thick.
- For the most efficient coconut flour tortillas, please see further preparation and troubleshooting guidelines within the put up above!
- A variation with non-compulsory gelatin is an possibility for extra pliable, strong tortillas. This calls for an additional 1/4 cup almond milk.
Quantity in line with serving. Serving dimension in recipe notes above.
General Carbs 4g
Internet Carbs 1g
Vitamin information are equipped as a courtesy. Have questions on calculations or why you were given a distinct consequence? Please see our diet coverage.
© Copyright Maya Krampf for Healthy Yum. Please DO NOT SCREENSHOT OR COPY/PASTE recipes to social media or internet sites. We’d LOVE so that you can proportion a hyperlink with picture as an alternative. 🙂