In case you’re searching for a very simple, vegan convenience meal-in-one, check out this vintage veggie tackle a Shepherd’s pie, which I formed into simple, particular person, potato-topped pies. Despite the fact that you’ll no doubt make this recipe in a casserole dish, too. Stuffed with veggies—zucchini, peas, carrots, peppers, onions—and plant-based seitan, those savory vegan mini pots of stew are crowned with whipped potatoes and browned within the oven. The following time you’re making mashed potatoes, save the leftovers for this recipe and you’ll make it no time! Discover ways to make selfmade seitan for this recipe right here.
I used to be first familiar with this dish once I traveled to the United Kingdom a few years in the past. You are going to to find variations of those recipes as vintage pub fare, however most often they’re stuffed with meat. I swapped meat for seitan and a veggie broth in my recipe. That is—fingers down—one in all my very favourite plant-based foods all the way through the cool climate months. I simply find it irresistible when the elements will get somewhat bit cold, and it’s time to create this recipe.
Since this is a meal-in-one dish, it isn’t tough to get a perfect meal at the desk briefly. Simply get your potatoes cooking in a single pot, whilst you’re making your flavorful stew-like filling in some other. My family members loves it once I type shepherd’s pie into particular person servings, as they’re featured right here. Pop them within the oven to get all golden, melty brown. Then simply enhance the tops with contemporary herbs.
You’ll be able to simply alter the elements on this recipe to fit what you have got readily available, too. Switch out seitan for cubed tofu, zucchini for broccoli, and peas for lima beans—the sky’s the prohibit! Plus, you’ll use frozen veggies when contemporary aren’t to be had. Fill out your menu with a crisp, inexperienced salad, and also you’re just right to head. This could also be a ravishing meal to do for meal prep—get all of it able on Sunday, and bake it on Monday night time. And you’ll tote alongside particular person servings for paintings day after today. Plus, it’s fabulous for dinner events and potlucks.
Stuffed with veggies—zucchini, peas, carrots, peppers, onions—and plant-based seitan, this wholesome, scrumptious, vegan recipe for Veggie Shepherd’s Pie can also be made into six particular person servings or one family-sized casserole.
- 5 medium (6 oz each and every) potatoes, peeled, halved
- 1 ½ tablespoons dairy-free margarine
- ½ –2/3 cup plant-based milk, undeniable, unsweetened (i.e., soymilk)
- Salt and pepper (non-compulsory, as desired)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium (2 oz each and every) carrots
- 1 huge onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small (7 oz each and every) zucchini, sliced
- 1 small (10 oz) bell pepper (inexperienced, purple, yellow or orange)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning (vegetarian seasoning mix)
- 2 tablespoons contemporary chopped parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon dried mustard
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch sea salt (non-compulsory)
- 8 oz seasoned seitan, sliced
- 1 ½ tablespoons flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon lowered sodium soy sauce
- Recent herbs (i.e., chives, rosemary, tarragon, thyme)
- To make mashed potatoes: Fill pot with water and produce to boil. Upload potatoes, quilt, and cook dinner till soft (about half-hour). Take away from warmth, drain, and mash with a potato masher or electrical mixer. Upload dairy-free margarine, sufficient plant-based milk to make a easy, spreadable mashed potato topping, and salt and pepper (if desired). Put aside.
- Whilst potatoes are cooking, make stew. Warmth olive oil in a big sauce pan, skillet, or sauté pan. Upload carrots, onion, garlic, zucchini, and bell pepper and saute for 10 mins. Upload peas, poultry seasoning, parsley, celery salt, mustard, pepper, sea salt (if desired), and seitan and stir smartly. Combine flour into broth and upload to saute pan and stir smartly. Stir in soy sauce. Simmer, coated, stirring incessantly, for an extra 10 mins, till greens are simply soft.
- Whilst greens are simmering, preheat oven to 400 F.
- Divide vegetable stew (about 1 1/8 cups each and every) amongst 6 oven-proof soup or mini-casserole dishes (about 2 cup dimension). Most sensible each and every dish with ½ cup mashed potatoes, smoothing over floor of stew. On the other hand, you’ll position all the stew into one huge casserole dish (2 1/2 – 3 quarts in dimension), and unfold all of mashed potatoes over the outside.
- Position dishes at the best rack of the oven and warmth for roughly 20 mins, till combination is golden on best.
To make this recipe gluten-free, change tofu for the seitan, and change cornstarch for the flour. Use gluten-free soy sauce.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Prepare dinner Time: 50 mins
- Class: Entree
- Delicacies: English, American
- Serving Dimension: 1 serving
- Energy: 311
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 421 mg
- Fats: 6.5 g
- Saturated Fats: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 51 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 3 mg
Key phrases: vegan convenience meals, veggie shepherd’s pie, shepherd’s pie
For different vintage vegan and vegetarian convenience meals dishes, take a look at a few of my favorites:
This put up might include associate hyperlinks. For more info, click on right here.